Tuesday, June 14, 2011

It's only been a week but...


...it feels like an eternity since I've been back in Sydney.  Although I'm pumped about all the passport stampage that happened over the last 8 days, I'm really quite happy to not be living out of a suitcase, a comfy bed, and some cooler weather to remind me that I'm not in a constant hot flash.

Singapore
In one word to describe Singapore, I'd say 'hot.'  Literally, I was schvitzing seconds after deplaning.  Perhaps this was because the monstrosity of the airport had me walking in all sorts of wrong directions...or maybe it was my anxiety about the fact that international weight for checked bags is different than domestic and I would have to check a bag, that I thought I could carryon, all the way to Thailand.  Amidst the stress and confusion, my bag was waiting for me in Singapore and I hopped in a cab with some Googlers to my hotel in Sentosa, the island that is sort of like Singapore's Disney World.

My next few days in Singapore were mainly spent inside during the day.  Lots of meetings, presentations, breakout sessions, speakers, inspirational videos, product demonstrations, etc.  For my Google friends, it was your typical sales conference, only 10 times smaller than that in the US.  I met some cool people & hung out with some folks who I knew from the States and the Sydney office. I didn't get to explore as much of Singapore as I would've liked since we were indoors & in meetings most of the day and then we had arranged activities at night.  One highlight, before the conference started, was joining some folks from Japan, China, & Singapore at a restaurant that specialized in Chili Crab (Singapore's most well-known dish).  At this meal I tried jelly fish for the first time (meh - could live without it) and indulged in some delish chili crab (would definitely try this again).

My room in the Hard Rock Hotel in Sentosa

Room with a view in Singapore -- lots of construction
Mmmmm...Chili Crab

The organized conference parties at night were slightly ridiculous.  I've included a few pictures and can tell you more personally about the insanity if you're at all interested.  Did I mention it was hot in Singapore?  You can tell more clearly in these pictures....

Beachfront BBQ in Sentosa

The Sydney office started a dance party at the BBQ

A 'fire' themed party at a club in Singapore

Dance competition - APAC style
Thailand
Singapore was a good time, but by Thursday of last week, I had my fill of staying indoors and sitting still.  My friend Phil from Ann Arbor (who is currently in Beijing) and I packed our bags to head to Ko Samui, Thailand.  Neither of us really had planned much and we weren't particularly clued into how we were actually getting to our resort on this island called Ko Samui.  Both of us were pleasantly surprised that we could even navigate our way through airport security and make it to the gate in Singapore in one piece.  Luckily, Alex, another guy from the Sydney office who planned our whole Thailand trip, was waiting at the gate to Bangkok.  For the rest of our trip from Singapore --> Bangkok --> Ko Samui, we were good to go.  By 5p the same day, the three of us had arrived at the beautiful Ko Samui airport (pictured below), and were on the beach within 30 minutes later.

Ko Samui Airport = gorgeous

Phil was happy to land in Ko Samui

Words can't really describe how happy I was to be in Ko Samui.  It was night and day from where we had been only hours earlier....real beaches as opposed to man-made ones...sunshine as opposed to rain...and cheap food/drink as opposed to not really cheap food/drink.  After a long day of travel, Phil and I relaxed at the Thai massage hut on the beach.  For 250 Baht (~$6 USD) you can get a 1 hour Thai massage. Deep sigh of relief, I'm officially in heaven. After massages, we indulged in fresh grilled fish that we got to pick out and then have it cooked, Thai curry, and some island-drinks.


For the remainder of the trip, I did my fair share of sun-soaking, beaching, Thai food eating, getting massages, and sleeping.  It was wonderful to get to know some new friends from the Sydney office who were staying at the same resort.  Here are some pictures of Ko Samui below.
Chaweng Beach - Ko Samui, Thailand

Chaweng Beach - Ko Samui, Thailand

200 Baht = $6.50 for a 1 hour massage. Heaven.

Most delicious dinner of fresh sea bass and grilled calamari
 
Me and Phil at our 'fancy' dinner
My new friend Nattha from Bangkok
Last supper in Ko Samui
We nearly at all of our last meal. It was fit for kings...cost us each less than $20

Caitrona and I at the Lady Boy Cabaret -- pictures after with one of our favorites

A dance off on the beach

My last (complimentary) $5 breakfast on the beach

Happy to be back 
Even though it was 20 degrees colder in Sydney today than where I was only 12 hours ago in Ko Samui, it was wonderful to be back.  I spent the early part of my day catching up on the sleep I didn't get enough of on my redeye from Bangkok --> Sydney.  More updates to come later this week.  I hope you're all well!!

-s.

No comments:

Post a Comment